Few self-published authors have the skills to do every single task themselves in order to end up with an error-free, professional-looking book. Most writers seek professional help. This can mean finding help with things such as editing, cover design, interior design, ebook formatting, author branding, social media, and marketing. Writers new to self-publishing might decide it is easier to purchase a complete package of services from a self-publishing company. However, if it is their first book, and the costs are high, they may end up regretting this choice. More experienced self-publishing authors often hire specific professionals for specific tasks as this gives them more control over each stage of seeing their book to completion. For this path, below is a list of resources.
Please note that this is not a complete list. Be sure to do your own research and check with other self-published writers or writing groups for recommendations.
“Write the best book you can, producing the best final product you can, using whatever set of tools and methods you favour.” — Kevin McLaughlin, self-published author.
Professional EdiTING HELP – BC
- Professional Editors Association of Vancouver Island
- Find an Editor – Editors.ca
- West Coast Editors
- Jesse Holth (recommended)
- Types of Editing
Professional Writing Services Directories
- Reedsy (professional editors, designers, marketers, ghostwriters)
- Editing & Freelance Services Rate Chart (US)
- BiblioCrunch (for authors & freelancers)
- Independent Publishers Guild (UK)
- Printorium – list of independent services (Victoria BC)
- Finding an agent (and avoiding scam agent services)
Writing Evaluation and Manuscript Services
- Mary Rosenbaum – New Writers Interface
- Writer’s Union of Canada
- Canadian Poets’ League
- CWILL BC Manuscript Consultants
Book Design – BC
- Spica Book Design (recommended)
Book Cover Design – BC
Comic Artists & Illustrators – BC
Ebook formatting HELP – See Ebook section
WRiting tools & apps
- Writing & editing tools for self-published authors
- Tools & services for self-published authors
- Ebook sales tracking apps
- Bookcore – sales tracking app
Marketing, Branding & Coaching
- GP Shure Narration
- Voice Bunny
- Iambik – converts books to audio books
- ACX – turn your book into an audio book
Did you find any of the resources listed especially helpful? Do you have an idea for a resource that should be listed? Send an email!
Note: Links and information are for research purposes and do not replace professional advice. Accuracy of third-party websites cannot be verified and links do not indicate endorsement.
Updated December 2017