Whether you are a new or experienced writer, taking a break from the solitary task of writing is important. Listed below are writing events to help you connect with fellow writers and publishing professionals. 3 Penny Publishing events are listed first, followed by writing events in BC and beyond. Also see Writers’ Organizations for more writing events and information on the pros and cons of writers’ groups.
Upcoming 3 Penny Publishing Workshops:
- Spring 2018 – Shawna Barker of Synergy Nutrition – How to use blogging, email lists, and events for marketing. More details to be announced in 2018.
- Spring 2018 – Getting started on Instagram with MeganMediaDesign.com. More details to be announced in 2018.
- Fall 2018 – Self-Publishing Writers’ Panel. Local experienced self-published writers will share their experiences, challenges and victories.
Writing Events in BC:
Most communities in BC have have writing events and author readings. However, the following events listed are for Victoria and the Lower Mainland. To find local writing events in your community, check with your local library, bookstore, or other cultural hub.
- BC Writers’ Literary Calendar
- Word Vancouver Festival
- Vancouver International Writers’ Festival
- Surrey International Writers’ Conference
- Victoria Festival of Authors
- Victoria Book Prize Society
- Sidney Literary Festival
- Galiano Literary Festival
- Canadian Authors’ Calendar
- Writers’ Union of Canada
- Victoria Writers’ Society Calendar
- VCON Science Fiction & Fantasy Convention
- Cuffed Crime Writers’ Festival
- Vancouver Art Book Fair
- BC Book Prize
WRITING EVENTS (outside of BC):
- Indie Author Day (everywhere)
- Indie Bookstore Day (everywhere)
- BookNet Canada (Toronto)
- LitHop (Portland)
- LitQuake (San Francisco)
- Hay Festival (UK)
Writing and Publishing Courses:
- Camosun College – Writing and Publishing (Victoria, BC)
- Royal Roads Writing Courses (Victoria, BC)
- UVIC Writing Courses (Victoria, BC)
- SFU Publishing Courses (Vancouver, BC)
- Victoria and Vancouver Public Library writing events
Writing for Children & Youth:
StoryStudio.com is a non-profit in Victoria, BC that helps children write and publish their own stories. They provide programs in local schools and in the community.
Creative Writing for Children is a Vancouver non-profit. They provide help and encouragement to students to write, illustrate, and publish their own books.
Writers’ Exchange hosts creative literacy activities to help children boost their literacy skills by connecting volunteers, children, and creativity.