Welcome writers! Whether you are a new or experienced writer, taking a break from solitary writing is sometimes helpful. Listed below are writing events to learn, meet fellow writers, and connect with publishing professionals. 3 Penny Publishing events are listed first, followed by writing events in BC and beyond.
First an additional note of caution. If you plan to join a writers’ group, first read these warnings by Jane Friedman. In addition, check out these tips on how to choose the best writing group for your needs.
“I get a lot of letters from people. They say: ‘I want to be a writer. What should I do?’ I tell them to stop writing to me and get on with it.” —Ruth Rendell
“Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.” —Neil Gaiman
“Beware of advice—even this.” —Carl Sandburg
Upcoming 3 Penny Publishing Workshops:
* Spring 2018 – Shawna Barker of Synergy Nutrition – How to use blogging, email lists, and events for marketing. More details to be announced in early 2018.
* Spring 2018 – Getting started on Instagram with CoachingByMegan.com. More details to be announced in early 2018.
* Spring 2018 – Self-Publishing Writers’ Panel. Local experienced self-published writers will share their wisdom with those who are new to self-publishing.
Writers’ Events in BC:
- BC Writers’ Literary Calendar
- Word Vancouver Festival
- Vancouver International Writers Festival
- Surrey International Writers Conference
- Victoria Festival of Authors
- Victoria Book Prize Society
- Sidney Literary Festival
- Galiano Literary Festival
- Canadian Authors Calendar
- Writers’ Union of Canada News & Events
- Victoria Writers’ Society Calendar
- VCON Science Fiction & Fantasy Convention
- Cuffed Crime Writer’s Festival
- Vancouver Art Book Fair
- BC Book Prize
EVENTS Beyond BC:
- Indie Author Day (everywhere)
- Indie Bookstore Day (everywhere)
- BookNet Canada (Toronto)
- LitHop (Portland)
- LitQuake (San Francisco)
- Hay Festival (UK)
Writing and Publishing Courses:
- Camosun College – Writing and Publishing (Victoria, BC)
- Royal Roads Writing Courses (Victoria, BC)
- UVIC Writing Courses (Victoria, BC)
- SFU Publishing Courses (Vancouver, BC)
- Victoria and Vancouver Public Library community writing events
Courses for Children & Youth:
StoryStudio.com is a Victoria, BC) non-profit. They encourage children to write and publish their own stories. In addition, they also provide programs in local schools and in the community.
Creative Writing for Children is a Vancouver non-profit to help encourage students to write, illustrate, and publish their own books. They treat the craft of writing seriously and offer classes in several Vancouver locations.
Writers’ Exchange hosts creative literacy activities to help children boost their literacy skills. In addition, their Writers’ Exchange brings together volunteers, kids, and creativity.