3 Penny Publishing was founded in 2010 in Victoria BC, Canada. Most of all, we are about encouraging self-publishing as well as, of course, publishing our own books.
Our aims are to:
- Publish affordable and innovative books and ebooks on useful or fun topics;
- Encourage self-publishing in all forms;
- Share self-publishing resources;
- Hold writers’ workshops on self-publishing and other relevant topics;
- Use writing and publishing to create a more livable world.
3 Penny Publishing does not currently offer any direct publishing services to writers. However, we would be happy to answer your questions by email if you cannot find the information you need in the self-publishing resources section.
about Our current Publishing projects
Currently, our main publishing project is My Opportunity & Help Book BC (Victoria and Vancouver Editions). While this print booklet is mainly a directory of key community resources, it also contains articles, tips and check-lists. In addition, we have also published a unique children’s book (limited to 200 copies).
Our past writing workshops
We have held several self-publishing workshops in Victoria BC with local experts. In 2011 we were lucky to have talented writer Harry Leslie Smith speak via Skype about writing and self-publishing his memoirs. Harry only began his first book when he was in his 80s (something that is sure to inspire many late blooming writers). His fourth book, Harry’s Last Stand, was picked up by a traditional publisher and was very successful. Now over age 90, he is well known in the UK because of his books and his many articles in the Guardian newspaper.
In addition, other workshops speakers have been:
- Bruce Batchelor, founder of Print-On-Demand (POD) publishing;
- Joyce Sandilands, manager of a popular series of local history fiction books written by her husband;
- Rebecca Kennel, self-published author of Victoria Bench-by-Bench;
- Grant McKenzie, international thriller novelist;
- Matthew Ashdown, experienced author coach and writer;
- Peggy Richardson, ebooks expert and instructor in SFU’s summer publishing program.
And to learn more about upcoming or past workshops go to our events page.
” Unhappy is the land that needs a hero.” –– Life of Galileo