3 Penny Publishing was founded in 2010 in Victoria, BC, Canada. We encourage self-publishing authors by providing resources, as well as publishing our own books.
Our aims are to:
- Publish books , bookazines and ebooks on useful or fun topics;
- Encourage self-publishing in all forms;
- Share self-publishing resources;
- Hold writers’ workshops on self-publishing and other relevant topics;
- Use writing and publishing to create a more livable world.
3 Penny Publishing does not currently offer any direct publishing services to writers. However, we would be happy to answer your questions by email if you cannot find the information you need in the self-publishing resources section.
about Our current Publishing projects
Currently, our main publishing project is My Opportunity & Help Book BC (Victoria and Vancouver Editions). While this print booklet is mainly a directory of key community resources, it also contains articles, tips and check-lists. In addition, we have also published a unique children’s book (limited to 200 copies).
Our past writing workshops
We have held several self-publishing workshops in Victoria, BC. In 2011, we were lucky to have talented writer Harry Leslie Smith speak via Skype about writing and self-publishing his memoirs. Notably, Harry only began his first book when he was in his 80s (something that is sure to inspire many late-blooming writers). His fourth book, Harry’s Last Stand, was picked up by a traditional publisher and was very successful. Now over age 90, he is well known in the UK because of his books and many articles in the Guardian newspaper.
In addition, other workshop speakers have been:
- Bruce Batchelor, founder of Print-On-Demand (POD) publishing;
- Joyce Sandilands, manager of a popular series of local historical fiction books written by her husband;
- Rebecca Kennel, author of Victoria Bench-by-Bench;
- Grant McKenzie, international thriller novelist;
- Matthew Ashdown, former long-time author coach and writer;
- Peggy Richardson, ebooks expert and instructor at Simon Fraser University’s summer publishing program.
For more details, see our past events page.
For upcoming workshops go to our events page.
“We truly are storytelling animals. The desire to tell and hear stories will never abate. Publishing will just have to fight for their share of that pie. We are currently living in the greatest era in human history for readers and writers.” ––Hugh Howey, Digital Book World interview, 2016
“I write because I love it, not because I see readers as dollar signs. I am very, very passionate about my work, and I take it very seriously that people are inviting me to entertain them every time they buy a book.” ––Amanda Hocking
“After he self-published three autobiographical works, Smith was given the opportunity to write a column in the Guardian. …The essay caught the eye of a book agent, who thought Smith evoked the spirit of a generation. … It was also, says Smith, ‘a blockbuster.’ Icon says it sold 20,000 copies worldwide. At 91, the legend of Harry Leslie Smith was born.” ––2016 Toronto Star interview with Harry Leslie Smith
“Unhappy is the land that needs a hero.” –– Life of Galileo