3 Penny Publishing was founded in 2010 in Victoria, BC, Canada. We curate a large section of self-publishing resources to inform, encourage and inspire indie authors. In addition, we publish our own books and bookazines. We also hold writing workshops. Our overall aim is to use writing and publishing to create a more livable world.
About our current projects
Currently, our main publishing project is My Opportunity & Help Book BC. In addition, we also publish a child-authored children’s book set in Beacon Hill Park and other locations in Victoria, BC. More publishing projects are planned for 2018.
Since 2010 we have held several self-publishing workshops with fiction and non-fiction authors and publishing experts. In 2011, we were lucky to have the talented Harry Leslie Smith speak via Skype about his journey to write and self-publish his memoirs. Notably, Harry only began his first book when he was in his 80s (something that is sure to inspire late-blooming writers). His articles in The Guardian caught the attention of a publisher who published Harry’s Last Stand which went on to be a best-seller. Now well into his 90s, Harry is an outspoken and popular activist. He has a new book out in the fall of 2017.
Past workshop speakers include:
- Bruce Batchelor: founder of Print-On-Demand (POD) publishing
- Joyce Sandilands: promotion and sales of best-selling local history fiction series written by her husband
- Rebecca Kennel: author of local non-fiction book ‘Victoria Bench-by-Bench’
- Grant McKenzie: international thriller novelist and former journalist
- Matthew Ashdown: writer and former author coach
- Peggy Richardson: ebooks expert and instructor at Simon Fraser University’s summer publishing program
- Harry Leslie Smith: memoirist and activist (see above).
For more details, see our past events page.
For upcoming workshops go to our events page.
If you are looking for information and inspiration by successful self-published authors, check out our Inspiring Quotes page.