Below is a list of traditional publishers in Victoria, BC, and a few beyond. If you plan to submit your book idea to them, be sure to read their guidelines first. Traditional book publishers get many submissions so keep this in mind.
It is also important to note that occasionally self-publishing can open the door to traditional publishing. If a self-published author sells well, and has quality writing, they may catch the attention of a large publisher. For example, memoirist Harry Leslie Smith wrote and self-published his first book when he was 88, grew his readers via social media and columns in The Guardian and was then picked up by publisher Icon Books. Before he was famous, Harry shared his self-publishing and writing insights at a 3 Penny Publishing workshop.
Taking the opposite view, this UK author argues strongly about why she will never self-publish. Her main reason? “If you self-publish your book, you are not going to be writing for a living. You are going to be marketing for a living.” For writers who want to focus on literary writing, and who have a strong aversion to marketing, seeking a traditional publisher may be the correct choice. However, this may also be a long haul task that can mean years of writing for no pay and numerous rejections. It is no small task but it has been done. For inspiration, have a listen to some “Meet the Writers” interviews.
A detailed picture of publishing challenges are outlined in this “publishing landscape map” ––with a focus on non-fiction. The scene is even more dire for fiction writers. Today, even best-selling writers face falling incomes. This is partly due to large publishers wanting celebrity authors who come along with a built-in readership.
However, for more examples of successful self-published writers, including those who go from self-publishing, to traditional, and back again, check out our Inspiring Quotes page.
Publishers (Victoria BC & Area)
Caitlin Press (Halfmoon Bay)
Ekstasis Editions (Victoria)
Frog Hollow Press (Victoria)
Heritage House (Victoria)
Hedgerow Press (North Saanich)
Leaf Press (Lantzville, Vancouver Island)
Mother Tongue (Salt Spring Island)
New Society (Gabriola Island)
Orca Books (Victoria)
Promontory Press (Victoria)
Royal BC Museum Publications (Victoria)
Touchwood Editions (Victoria)
(Note, this may not be a complete list)
- BC Book Publishing Directory (All major book publishers in BC)
- CanadaBooks.ca (Canada-wide directory)
- Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild (All forms of book arts)
- Literary Press Group of Canada
- Alcuin Society (Canadian-wide, based in Vancouver) They are dedicated to everything related to books. This includes: book design, collecting, printing, binding, papermaking, calligraphy, and illustration. In addition, they also hold book design awards each year.
- Fine Press Book Association (International, based in the UK)
- Ash-Tree Press (Ashcroft, BC) This small press is valued by book collectors for their award-winning supernatural fiction books.
- Barbarian Press (Mission, BC) produces letterpress books.
- Greenboathouse Press (Vernon, BC) produces limited edition, letterpress, hand-bound publications.
- Microcosm Publishing (Portland, Oregon) The “small press with big ideas”.
- Cloudscape Comics (Vancouver, BC) works to advance BC indie comics.
- Axial Publishing (Vancouver, BC) publishes philosophy and other serious topics.
Have an idea for a resource? Feel free to send an email.
For additional information, check the Self-Publishing Resources tab.
Note: Links and information are for research purposes and do not replace professional advice. Since accuracy of third-party websites cannot be verified, links do not indicate endorsement.
Updated May 2018